Monday, June 3, 2024

God’s Word In My Life - Psalm 119

 


God’s Word In My Life

Text: Psalm 119

Introduction:

The Pony Express was yesterday’s overnight delivery service. This was a mail delivery service that took letters from the St. Louis, Missouri, to California in a blistering 10 days. Young men, none allowed to weigh more than 125 pounds, changed horses at weigh stations spaced 10 to 15 miles apart. Riders themselves rode 75 to 100 miles, day and night before handing the mail pouch to the next rider. To conserve weight the riders wore light clothing, small saddles and were only allowed one pistol and a water bag. The horses wore light horseshoes or none at all, they carried small flat mail pouches and the letters were written on very thin paper and it cost $5 a ½ ounce in 1860, that would be about $250 an ounce today to mail a pony express letter. The pony express lasted about 18 months until it was replaced by the telegraph, you couldn’t compete with the speed of electricity. In spite of all planning and work to reduce the weight upon each horse, the owner Alexander Majors, gave each rider a special edition Pony Express, full sized Bible to carry with them from station to station.

From the time of the Exodus to the industrial age the Bible has played a paramount role in the civilization of mankind. It was the Bible that was the first book printed on Gutenberg’s movable type printing press. It was the first book read in outer space and left on the moon by Astronaut Edgar Mitchell. Since the beginning of our nation every US president has laid their hand on the Bible to give their oath of office.

“It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible.” - George Washington

“The Bible is a book in comparison with which all others are of minor importance, and which in all my perplexities and distresses has never failed to give me light and strength.”  – Robert E. Lee

“If we will not be governed by God, then we will be ruled by tyrants.”  – William Penn

“Education is useless without the Bible.”  – Daniel Webster

Within the covers of the Bible are all the answers for all the problems men face. - Ronald Reagan

“That Book (the Bible) is the rock on which our Republic rests.” – Andrew Jackson

“It is necessary for the welfare of the nation that men’s lives be based on the principles of the Bible. No man, educated or uneducated, can afford to be ignorant of the Bible.” – Theodore Roosevelt

Abraham Lincoln said, “In regard to this great Book, I have but to say it is the best gift God has given to man.  All the good Savour gave to the world was communicated through this Book.  But for it we could not know right from wrong.  All things most desirable from man’s welfare, here and hereafter, are to be portrayed in it.”  Sept 7, 1864

Now compare those quotes to a poll done by Gallup in 2022. According to this poll, A record-high percentage of Americans believe the Bible is just a collection of "fables" recorded by men and a record-low percentage believe it to be the "actual word of God."

29 percent of adults in the U.S. say they believe the Bible is an "ancient book of fables, legends, history and moral precepts recorded by man," while only 20 percent of adults  say they believe it is the "actual word of God and is to be taken literally, word for word."

The percentage of Americans who say the Bible is the "actual word of God" has fallen gradually in the last decade, from 30 percent in 2011 to 28 percent in 2014 to 24 percent in 2017 and 20 percent today. During that same time, the percentage of Americans who say the Bible was written by men has risen, from 17 percent to 21 percent to 26 percent and to 29 percent today.

Background

Now let’s consider our text today, Psalm 119. This is the longest Psalms and the longest chapter in the entire Bible. It also is usually right in the middle of most Bibles, metaphorically making it the center of the Bible. What would be the subject of the longest Psalm and chapter in at the core of our Bible? For surely that subject would be of the utmost importance.

In fact Psalm 119 is a didactic (teaching) poem, told form the Psalmist personal testimony. And its, subject and main purpose is to glorify the Word of God. The psalmist addresses God in almost every verse and praise God’s law, His word. It is written as Hebrew poetry so it uses the repetition of thoughts and words to instruct those who read it about God’s word to man. The word of God is repeated in every verse by using 10 synonyms: law, testimonies, precepts, judgments, commandments, statutes, sayings, word, way, and path.

Psalms 119 is the fullest acrostic poem in the Psalms. Every stanza or stophe begins with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet. 119 uses all twenty-two letters of the Hebrew alphabet. Each stanza is composed of eight lines, all of which begin with the letter which heads the stanza.

The subject of the longest, most prominently placed, and intricately constructed chapter in the Bible is all about one thing, The Word of God, our Bible. So, this morning I want us to think and meditate about the greatness of God’s Word as it is honored in Psalms 119.

It’s hard to get a handle on how to preach on this chapter. It does not lend itself to a joke, three points a poem and then a prayer. Instead let me present it by three considerations or observations about God’s Word. First, What God’s Word Is, then What God’s Word does, finally, What God’s Word Requires. Let’s begin with ….

What God’s Word Is …

It Is a Blessing - Psalms 119:1-3

Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord. 2Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart. 3They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.

It is Infallible and Inerrant Psalms 119:89, 152, 160

Let’s define what infallible and inerrant mean.

Infallible: exempt from liability to error absolutely trustworthy and sure.

Inerrant: free from error

God’s Word is Infallible and Inerrant By Its Own Declaration

Psalm 119: 89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.

152 Concerning thy testimonies, I have known of old that thou hast founded them for ever.

160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.

Infallible and Inerrant By Its Testimony of Godly Men

Paul - 2 Tim. 3:16 –17  All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:  That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Peter - 2 Peter 1:21  For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Jesus - Matthew 5:18  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Infallible and Inerrant By History and Archeology

No historical, archaeological discover has ever contradicted the Bible. Even when the Bible told of peoples, cities, or events that history had forgotten and was declared as false, the Bible invariably has been shown time and time again to be the true record.

The Fall of Jericho  was destroyed by Joshua and the invading Israelite armies in Joshua 6:20.  The city of Jericho was excavated in 1930-36.  They found the wall had fallen down flat just as the Bible had said.

The Five Cities of the Plain are recorded in Genesis 14.  These were considered fictitious until the discovery of the Kingdom of Elba site which not only mentions the cities but even lists them in the same order on clay tablets 1000 years before Moses wrote Genesis.

Ninevah was the capital city of the Assyrian Empire.  It was excavated in 1846.  They found the palace of Sennacherib and an account of his conquest of Judea which matched the Biblical account.

Ossuaries of Caiaphas and James. An Ossuary is a stone box in which the bones of deceased ancestors were stored.  Two ossuaries have been found with the name of the man who condemned Jesus as the high priest and the name of James, the brother of Jesus.

Infallible and Inerrant By Its Fulfilled Prophecy

Jesus’ Birthplace (700 yrs) Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Time of Jesus Birth (900 yrs) Daniel 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.

Manner of His Birth (700 yrs) Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Manner of His Death (1000 yrs)Psalm 22: 1 My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring? 7  All they that see me laugh me to scorn: they shoot out the lip, they shake the head, 16  For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have inclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet. 18  They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture

Manner of His Burial (700 yrs) Isaiah 53:7-9 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. 8He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. 9And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

Not only is God’s Word proven infallible and inerrant, it is more than just a book of true facts. It is a supernatural and miraculous book written by the power of God’s and meant by God to have a purpose in our lives. The Bible, God’s Word is meant to change, guide and instruct mankind. Look at …

 What God’s Word Does

It Guides our Physical Life on Earth

Psalm 119:9-11 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. 10With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments. 11Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee..

It Guides Us to Eternal Life In Heaven

Psalm 119:41 Let thy mercies come also unto me, O Lord, even thy salvation, according to thy word.

Psalm 119:93-95 I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me. 94I am thine, save me; for I have sought thy precepts. 95The wicked have waited for me to destroy me: but I will consider thy testimonies.

It Guides Us to Eternal Life through Jesus Christ

John 5:39-47  Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40  And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.41  I receive not honour from men.42  But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you.43  I am come in my Father’s name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.44  How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?45  Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. 46  For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. 47  But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

There is salvation from sin and eternal life in this book. Salvation that bursts forth like a bright light and a joyous song every time its covers are opened and pages read. Would you know forgiveness, hope, redemption, salvation, joy, assurance? Then open this book, read this book, listen to the Word of God as He speaks directly to you from this book. Open your ears and hear the beautiful music and glory as the Holy Spirit calls all to salvation. Open your eyes and see salvation’s radiant picture of Jesus’ unequaled love on these pages.

God’s Word Gives Hope (119:73–80)

Psalms 119:74-77 They that fear thee will be glad when they see me; because I have hoped in thy word. 75 I know, O LORD, that thy judgments are right, and that thou in faithfulness hast afflicted me. 76 Let, I pray thee, thy merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to thy word unto thy servant. 77 Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live: for thy law is my delight.

God’s Word Gives Strength (119:81–88)

Psalms 119:83-88 For I am become like a bottle in the smoke; yet do I not forget thy statutes.
84 How many are the days of thy servant? when wilt thou execute judgment on them that persecute me? 85 The proud have digged pits for me, which are not after thy law. 86 All thy commandments are faithful: they persecute me wrongfully; help thou me. 87 They had almost consumed me upon earth; but I forsook not thy precepts. 88 Quicken me after thy lovingkindness;
so shall I keep the testimony of thy mouth.

God’s Word Gives A Sure Foundation (119:89–96)

Psalms 119:89-91 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.  90 Thy faithfulness is unto all generations: thou hast established the earth, and it abideth.  91 They continue this day according to thine ordinances: for all are thy servants.

119:89–96. God’s Word is settled in heaven and is attested by His faithfulness (vv. 89–91). The psalmist’s delight (cf. 1:2; 119:174) in the established Law had enabled him to win the victory (vv. 92–95). He concluded that God’s Word is boundless (v. 96) in its values.

God’s Word Gives Understanding and Satisfaction (119:98–100, 102-103)

Psalms 119:98-100 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies:
for they are ever with me. 99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. 100 I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.

Psalms 119:102-103 I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.
103 How sweet are thy words unto my taste! yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth!

God’s Word Give Light (119:105–112)

Psalms 119:105-106 Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
106 I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments.

God’s Word Give Inspiration (119:113–120)

Psalms 119:113-114 I hate vain thoughts: but thy law do I love. 114 Thou art my hiding place and my shield: I hope in thy word.

Psalms 119:120 My flesh trembleth for fear of thee; and I am afraid of thy judgments.

God’s word is utterly trustworthy and true, therefore we can look to its message and understand how God wants to bless us, love us, forgive us and save us. That is what the Bible does for me, but there is one more purpose of the Bible and that is what the Bible requires of me.

What God’s Word Requires

Love it (vv. 97, 159).

Psalms 119:97 O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

Psalms 119:159 Consider how I love thy precepts: quicken me, O LORD, according to thy lovingkindness.

Prize it (vv. 72, 128).

Psalms 119:72 The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.

Psalms 119:128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.

Study it (vv. 7, 12, 18, 26–27).

Psalms 119:12 Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.

Psalms 119:18 Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

Psalms 119:26 I have declared my ways, and thou heardest me: teach me thy statutes.

At least twelve times the psalmist prays, “Teach me.”

Memorize it (v. 11).

Psalms 119:11-16 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
12 Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.  13 With my lips have I declared
all the judgments of thy mouth.  14 I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches. 15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways. 16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

Meditate on it (vv. 15, 23, 48, 78, 97, 99, 148).

Psalms 119:15-16 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways. 16 I will delight myself in thy statutes: I will not forget thy word.

Psalms 119:23 Princes also did sit and speak against me: but thy servant did meditate in thy statutes.

Psalms 119:48 My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved;
and I will meditate in thy statutes.

Meditation is to the soul what digestion is to the body. Reading the Bible without meditating or thinking deeply about what you read is like chewing you food but not swallowing it.

Trust it (v. 42).

Psalms 119:42 So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word.

Obey it (vv. 4–8).

Psalms 119:4-8 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently. 5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes! 6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments. 7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments. 8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.

Declare it (vv. 13, 26).

Psalms 119:13 With my lips have I declared all the judgments of thy mouth.

Summary

The Bible truly is God’s Word, His Book written by divine inspiration to show us who God is, how we are to live, to believe and be saved, It also tell us to reverence, honor and cherish it.

Now, let me close with a different story of adventure than the pony express we started with. The story also involves a young boy and it takes place on the other side of the world in 2019.

Aldi Adilang, was a 19-year-old Indonesian teenager working as a lamp keeper on a rampong, a floating fish trap or raft. On July 19 of that year the moorings of the raft snapped and he began to drift across the Pacific Ocean towards Guam. Since it was a raft used to catch fish there was no paddle and no engine. He was helpless caught in the ocean’s current.

His food ran out after just a few days, but broke off pieces of the fish trap’s hut and cooked fish that he caught. When he ran out of water, he had to sip seawater, filtered through his clothes, even though after a while drinking sea water will cause death.

Several ships passed him, but they did not notice the little raft. Soon he felt hopeless, was close to his breaking point and decided to commit suicide by jumping into the ocean and drowning. But then he remembered what his parents had always told him, “Turn to God in times of suffering.” So, he picked up his Bible that with him on the fish trap and he prayed to the God of those scriptures.

Then on August 31, the MV Arpeggio, a cargo ship bound for Japan, passed by the fish trap and noticed Adilang. His nightmare finally ended when Adilang decided to jump into the ocean, not to commit suicide but to grab the ropes extended from the cargo crew and found rescue and salvation from near death.

Let me make a comparison, our nation is adrift today, our moorings have snapped and we are caught in the currents of an ocean of sin, chaos, anarchy and upheaval. It may seem like there is no hope and all we can do is hold on till the end, but like Adilang, what we need to do is hear the voice of our founding fathers and turn once again to this book, the word of God and pray for deliverance.

Both in our nation, our families and our own personal lives we need to be turning with hope and faith to God’s word. There is no other salvation than the salvation we find through Jesus Christ in those precious pages.

Conclusion

This Book Is God’s Word!

And since it is God’s Word then, this book is the most important book ever given into the hands and knowledge of mankind. It is important because it tells us of history, important because it tells us of ourselves, important because it tells of what is true. But by far it is important because it tells us of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.

The Bible tells us that God loves us but also hates the sin that we commit. The Bible tells us that God in His love sent His only begotten son to pay the price for our sinful nature and that if we accept the gift of God offered to us when Jesus died upon the cross in our place we can have eternal life.

Think of it, the hope that we so desperately need is found in this book. The life of joy and fulfillment that we could live, is in this book. The family that will be a blessing and not a curse can be raised in this book. And most amazing of all, the miracle of immortality and a home for eternity in heaven, is in this book.

How can we not to read it every day? How can we so blithely ignore its warnings? How can we hope to survive this life and enter into the joy of the next if we don’t see the door that the Creator has opened for us and hear the only way it can be opened? By faith in Jesus His Son.

It truly is the Word of God! Read it, write it on the walls of your heart, declare it to all the world and thank God for this great gift and when we read it, know that God is speaking.


No comments:

Post a Comment