Monday, December 18, 2023

Christ's Coming 2: The Wise Men Seek Him

Seeing the Star Matthew 2:1-3

Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, 2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him. 3 When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.

Wise Because They Searched

The word for wise here in the KJV is the Greek word Magi. It is the same word we get magic and magician from. In ancient times a magi was any person who was dedicated to learning, to discover, ultimately they became our scientist and our scholar. The magi or wise men had different specialties or division as we can see from Daniel 2:10 The Chaldeans answered before the king, and said, There is not a man upon the earth that can shew the king's matter: therefore there is no king, lord, nor ruler, that asked such things at any magician, or astrologer, or Chaldean.

The magi that come seeking the newborn king were astrologers, who looked to the heavens for signs. One day as they looked they saw a new star something that had not been there before.

Some believe it was a nova, a sun that suddenly burns brightening as it dies and then disappears. Others believe it was a comet with its tail pointing toward the west and indeed both the Chinese and other ancient people who watched the skies did see a comet, that they called a “broom star” right about the date that Jesus would have been born.

Whatever they saw, they took it as a sign, of a momentous, even history changing event. Something had happened and they needed to know what it was.

Now this is my thought, because we are not told, but I believe these magi were from the old Babylonian empire, they resided in Persia and when they saw this sign in the heavens, they went to their library of writings by other wise men and they found a scroll written by a very famous magi named Belteshazzar, aka as the Jewish prophet Daniel. They may have been familiar with Daniel’s writing as he had served as a wise man and counselor for both Babylon and for Persia.

And if my theory is right they found this prophecy written in Daniel 9:21-24 Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, even the man Gabriel, (the same angel that came to Elizebeth and Mary) whom I had seen in the vision at the beginning, being caused to fly swiftly, touched me about the time of the evening oblation. 22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding. …24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.

Daniel was given a specific length of time when the Messiah would be born, if you go through the prophecy, then you will find that it would have been within the time that coincided with this star. They didn’t know his name, but they knew they had to search for the anointed most Holy one, which is what the “Messiah” means.

Are You Wise enough To Seek?

You know this world today could use a lot more wise, searching, seeking people. I read a book recently called “Bible, the story of the King James Version.” Great book, btw. The author was talking about the wise men who translated the KJV and he made a statement, “The population from which scholars can now be drawn is much larger than that of the seventeenth century, but it would be difficult now to bring together a group of more than fifty scholars with the range of languages and knowledge of other disciplines that characterized the KJV translators. “We may live in a world with more knowledge, but it is populated by people with less knowledge.” – Gordon Cambell And that is the truth.
Today we know a little about lots of unimportant things, but we know almost nothing of anything important. And the reason is because we no longer are willing to search for the important things.

Let’s clearly state that the most important thing those wise man could ever find was the Messiah, the Christ. And likewise, today, the most important thing you can ever find is still Jesus Christ.

And yes, like the magi, we are surrounded with signs, that God is using to get our attention and make us think seeking important things, eternal things. Let me give you some signs from God, no not a comet in the heavens but events in your life today.

Events like Marriage. The blending of two lives into one.  The realization of our total need upon something greater than ourselves to make these two lives worth living. What an event, what a time to begin seeking God.

Or, the birth of a child. Parents and grandparents is there any greater miracle of God's creative power that you can actually hold in your hands. What could be more life changing?  What could be a more momentous time to seek Jesus.

Or when we experience the death of a family member or friend.  That painful, sorrowful departure of a life from us and this world. That feeling of loss when someone has stepped through that door that separates life from death. What a sobering time to seek God.

And by far the most important sign or event in your life is the hearing of the Gospel. To hear that God sent His son to seek and save me. To realize that He has not left me to grope in the dark but has provided guideposts and landmarks through His word that I might come to salvation. What a joyous time to come to Jesus.

As Paul told the Romans in Romans 2:4 Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

All the good things in your life, from marriage to the Gospel are God’s signs to lead thee to salvation, to eternal life, to the most important discovery ever made, but are you willing to take search? Many are not, many are despising the riches of his goodness and longsuffering, turning their back on One who is seeking them.

Searching the Scriptures - Matthew 2:4-6

And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born. 5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet, 6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule (shepherd) my people Israel.

Wise Because of Where They Searched

They came from the east and I believe using Daniels prophecy they went to Jerusalem and there the asked, where the Christ should be born. Daniel told them when but not where.

They had to turn to the Old Testament prophecies of the birth of the Messiah, the had to search the Word of God and there they found in Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

They searched the scriptures and in the Word of God they found the answer they were looking for. No surprise because the OT was filled with prophecies that foretold the birth, life and death of the Messiah.  Signs that God had given to point the way to the Savior.

His coming at a set time.  Ge 49:10 Da 9:24,25
His resurrection.  Ps 16:10 Isa 26:19
His being forsaken by God Ps 22:1
His being mocked  Ps 22:7,8
His hands and feet being nailed to the cross Ps 22:16
The intensity of his sufferings Ps 22:14,15
His garments being parted, and lots cast for his vesture  Ps 22:18
His being betrayed by a friend Ps 41:9 55:12-14
Gall and vinegar being given him to drink  Ps 69:21
His being born a virgin, His being called Immanuel.  Isa 7:14
His being preceded by John the Baptist.  Isa 40:3 Mal 3:1
His being numbered with the transgressors, intercession for His murderers, Death  Isa 53:12
His being buried with the rich.  Isa 53:9
His entering publicly into Jerusalem. Zec 9:9
His being sold for thirty pieces silver  Zec 11:12
His price being given for the potter's field  Zec 11:13

All these and over 300 more all to make sure that man would know the Messiah when he came. So, they would know Him.  So, they would have the chance of a lifetime, the chance of eternity, the chance to know Jesus Christ.

Jesus himself taught his disciples exactly this truth, Luke 24:27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself. It is wisdom is to realize that to find the Christ of God, you have to search the Word of God.
 

Have You Searched the scriptures?

One day, there will be many who will say, "God why didn't you tell me? Why didn’t you show us, Jesus. Why did you not give us a sign? But God, will say, “You had my very words in your hands. You had my house. You had my children. Why didn't you seek there for the evidence, the truth I left for you?

Why did you not read John 3:16-19 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
In God’s word are the truths we should be seeking.

The truth of Jesus coming back. 1 Thessalonians 4:16  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

In the scriptures are signs and answers about salvation, about the second coming, about raising your family, about loving your spouse, about succeeding in this world as God counts you a success. But if you aren’t reading it, if you aren’t seeking for answers in its pages, then you are not wise. You are ignoring the most important knowledge that has ever been given to mankind. Here in God’s word is where your knowledge should run deep and wide.

Titanic ignores warnings.

When the unsinkable cruise ship Titanic sank, warning after warning had been sent to tell them they were speeding into an ice-field. But the messages were ignored. In fact, when a nearby ship sent an urgent warning, the Titanic was talking to Cape Race about the time chauffeurs were to meet arriving passengers at the dock, and what menus were to be ready.

Preoccupied with trivia, the Titanic responded to the warning: "Shut up. I am talking to Cape Race. You are jamming my signals."

That is what too many today are saying when it comes to God’s revelation to this world, “Shut up God, I’m on Facebook.” The tragedy of the Titanic will be trivial compared to the tragedy of those who ignored God’s word.

One last thing makes these men, wise. Look at vss. 7-12

Seeking the Savior - Matthew 2:9-11

When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was. 10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. 11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

Wise Men They Worshipped The King


Notice some things about the wise men.
First, we don’t know how many there were. Three is traditional because of the three gifts, but we don’t know. Nor do we know their name, though that hasn’t stopped some from giving them names. Nor were they kings, as far as we know. Though I love the carol, “We three Kings of Orient Are.”

There are things we don’t know, but these things in God’s word we do know. We know that the star “went before them.” The star reappeared to them and this time I believe it was not a comet but was an angel, shining brightly, leading them just like glory of God led the Israelites in the wilderness. But this time the glory of God was the one they were being led to, and so the messenger, the star was another angel going before them and stopping right above the house where Jospeh, Mary and Jesus lived.

Notice also they came into “the house.” It was not a stable, but a house and notice it wasn’t a babe in a manger but a young child. The words in the Greek are different, The word here for young child is the word we would translate toddler and could have been up to 2 year old, though probably this is no more than a few months, depending on how far they had to travel from the East to Bethlehem.

Notice also how they reacted upon seeing the Christ. They fell down and worshipped Him. What else could you do before a king born under the sign of a star?  Before one whose coming had been foretold over a thousand years ago. Who had been looked for, hoped for and prayed for by a hundred generations of people. Whose life would be the price paid through sacrifice to bring us back to God.

They gave him proper and perhaps prophetic gifts. Gold, a gift for a king. Frankincense, an incense prophetic of a priest and Myrrh, a perfume used in preparing the body for death.

In the gifts we see Jesus, King, Priest and Sacrifice

The Wise Still Come To where Jesus Is.

If we would be wise, then we like the magi, must come into the house where Jesus is worshipped. Do I have to tell you where that is? No, or course not this is the House of the Lord, His church and if we would honor Him then we must come to this house. 

Am I wise in my worship? What is my attitude when I come before the King? The magi fell down and worshipped. But what do I do when I come into the Lord’s house? Do I take for granted the one who died for me?  Do I ignore the one who will return at the head of a great heavenly army to claim this universe?  Do I settle for commonplace Jesus who will make a new heaven and a new earth and rule for all eternity?  Am I really worshipping Jesus Christ, the King of Glory? Or am I just going through the motions, the rituals, the ruts and the traditions of my religion?

When I come into His house, I should bring gifts, fitting my King. What is the fitting to give to Jesus, to the one who gave his life for me? What else is worthy of Him but my life, my heart and my soul. My life given in serving him now on this earth.  My heart given to love him forever. My soul given for salvation for all eternity.  

Matthew 22:37 Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. Three gifts, the only ones I can offer, the only ones befitting this King.

Conclusion: "I gave my life for thee.  What hast thou given for me?

This was Frances Havergal's first hymn, she wrote it at a young age in 1858. She wrote it as a poem after seeing Sternberg's painting Ecce Homo in Düsseldorf, Germany. A caption on the painting read, "This have I done for thee; what has thou done for Me?" She came across the poem some years later, and thinking poorly of it, threw it into a stove. Unbeknownst to her, it did not burn, but was found later by her father, who persuaded her to publish it.

I gave My life for thee, My precious blood I shed,
That thou might ransomed be, and raised up from the dead
I gave, I gave My life for thee, what hast thou given for Me?
I gave, I gave My life for thee, what hast thou given for Me?

My Father's house of light, My glory circled throne
I left for earthly night, for wanderings sad and lone;
I left, I left it all for thee, hast thou left aught for Me?
I left, I left it all for thee, hast thou left aught for Me?

I suffered much for thee, more than thy tongue can tell,
Of bitterest agony, to rescue thee from hell.
I've borne, I've borne it all for thee, what hast thou borne for Me?
I've borne, I've borne it all for thee, what hast thou borne for Me?

And I have brought to thee, down from My home above,
Salvation full and free, My pardon and My love;
I bring, I bring rich gifts to thee, what hast thou brought to Me?
I bring, I bring rich gifts to thee, what hast thou brought to Me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment