Monday, July 18, 2022

Psalms Through the Summer #9 A Psalms of Confidence and Doubt - Psalm 31

Psalms Through the Summer #9
A Psalms of Confidence and Doubt - Psalm 31


Do you remember the story of Jesus and the father whose son was possed by a terrible demon? It's in Mark 9:21-24 And he asked his father, How long is it ago since this came unto him? And he said, Of a child. And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us. – Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth. And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help thou mine unbelief.

The honesty and turmoil of that father is also glimpsed in Psalm 31. It is a psalm about confidence and doubt, trust and worry, faith and fear. Because just like the father in Mark 9, if we are honest with ourselves and with God, we will confess that yes we trust God but we still afraid. We have faith but that does not mean doubt and fear no longer exist. This is one of the elements that makes Psalms such a window into the human condition and the reality of a believer’s life and struggles. Some of our most fierce and frequent battles are within ourselves between faith and fear.

So, let’s look at Psalms 31 and see how David fought this battle in his own heart.

Trust In Thee  Psalms 31:1-8

1 In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; Let me never be ashamed: Deliver me in thy righteousness. 2 Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: Be thou my strong rock, For an house of defence to save me. 3 For thou art my rock and my fortress; Therefore for thy name’s sake lead me, and guide me. 4 Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: For thou art my strength. 5 Into thine hand I commit my spirit: Thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth. 6 I have hated them that regard lying vanities: But I trust in the LORD. 7 I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: For thou hast considered my trouble; Thou hast known my soul in adversities; 8 And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: Thou hast set my feet in a large room.

The King’s Call


David calls out in faith, “In Thee, O Lord Jehovah, do I put my trust.” And then this statement of faith is tinged with worry. In Thee, O Lord, I put my faith, please don’t let me be ashamed.”  
His faith is based not in a cause or a creed or an abstract idea but in the someone. Someone he knew and trusted. His faith was placed in the person and character of God.

His call to God is a plea and you can hear the struggle that David is going through as he calls out to his God. We don’t know the reason that David wrote this Psalms, it could have been during any of the hard times that he fought through. Perhaps when he was running from Saul and hiding, or as an outcast in Ziklag. It could have been written during the worst time of David’s life when his son Absalom led a coupe against him and David had to flee his own capital city. They conspired against him and even his own advisor Ahithophel, one of David’s closest advisor turned against him.

No wonder we can hear brokenness and the anxiety in David’s voice throughout this Psalm. Always believing who God is, always trusting in God’s power but still fearful because of what was happening in his life. He calls out, Jehovah, Bow down thine ear and hear me. Lord, deliver me quickly, God, be my strong Rock and fortress. Lord, can you hear me, I need help and I need it now, I need you to rise to my defense.

But that fear does not in any way deny his faith. We hear David’s faith as he declares, “You are my rock and fortress, there is nowhere else I can find refuge. I’m trusting in you and pleading that for thy names sake, your character, your love, your greatness, lead me and guide me. You are my strength.”

Then in vs 5 we hear a very familiar phrase, for the first time in the Bible it is uttered here, “ Into thine hand I commit my spirit.” He had committed the spark of life, his spirit, into the care and keeping of God’s strong hand. The word “commit” p̱âqaḏ in the Hebrew, here means to deposit or leave in owns care, to give in trust or charge, to place in another’s custody.
David looks to God and says, I give myself, my life, my hope to you, my God. He knew that God had redeemed him and now in these dire straits of his life, he was calling out in faith, despite the fear trusting that God would save him again.

He finishes this first stanza of the Psalms with his own personal statement of faith and declaration of hope. Psalms 31:6-8 I trust in the LORD. I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversities; And hast not shut me up into the hand of the enemy: thou hast set my feet in a large room. God will not let my enemies hem me in, not let them surround me, He has given me breathing room, maneuvering room. My enemies tried to trap me, but God has freed me from the trap.

The Christian’s Call


I’ve never been on the run physically as David might have been here. I’ve never had my family or friends conspire against me. (Though I had a board of deacons do that.) Though I’ve never been in the exact situation, David was in, I hear his words echo in my own heart as if they were mine. When those times of trouble come to me and to you, even as children of God, believers in Jesus Christ, I still must face the reality of my faith in God mixed with my fear of what might or might not happen.

I pray to God. I talk to God. I may even weep before God. Yes, I confirm my faith. God I put my trust in you. You are my rock, my fortress. I have none other but thee. And even with those pleas of faith, there is fear in my voice as it was in David’s. God, are you listening? Don’t let me down now.

You know, we can’t deny the anxiety, the fear and the worry, but what we must do is counter that fear with something that is just as real and more powerful, our faith in our almighty God. We must what David did, commit our spirit, deposit ourselves into the care and keeping of the Lord.

We must deposit ourselves in First Universal Bank and Trust of Jehovah, Athens Texas branch. When I deposit money in the bank, I am showing my faith in that bank. I believe it is safe, I don’t worry about that money. (Now, I worry about not having enough money but that’s a sermon for another day.)

To make through our own dire straits, our own troubles and problems,  I must fully commit, myself into God’s love, mercy, strength and grace. My worries, fears, doubts, troubles, pain and guilt must be committed to God.

Often when I pray during troubling times, I picture myself bowing before the throne of grace and whatever it is that is causing the doubts and fears. I picture as a burden that I place at the feet of the One on the Throne. I give it to him and then I turn and walk away, believing that He can and will deal with the things that had overwhelmed me.

Christ's Call On The Cross


Do you know why the phrase “Into thy hands I commit my spirit” is so familiar? It because we hear it from the lips of Jesus, our savior on the cross. In Luke 23:44-46 And it was about the sixth hour, and there was a darkness over all the earth until the ninth hour. And the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst. And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit. In Greek it is the same word, to place in one’s care, to deposit for safe keeping. That is what Jesus did. That is what David did. And through the years how many precious saints with their last breaths have whispered those same words? "Into thy hands I commit my spirit. "

God the Father didn’t fail Jesus, His son. He didn’t fail His King, David. I don’t believe He ever failed a single saint thoughout the centuries and I know he won’t fail you or I.

Now in vss 9-18 David continues his plea but it subtly changes. He now calls out for God’s mercy.

Mercy From Thee  Psalms 31:9-18


9 Have mercy upon me, O LORD, for I am in trouble: Mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly.

Depths of David’s Despair


He calls out, “ Oh, God have mercy on me.” Then he reveals the true depths of his hurt condition. Listen, “Mine eye is consumed with grief, yea, my soul and my belly. 10 For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: My strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed. 11 I was a reproach among all mine enemies, But especially among my neighbours, and a fear to mine acquaintance: They that did see me without fled from me. 12 I am forgotten as a dead man out of mind: I am like a broken vessel. 13 For I have heard the slander of many: Fear was on every side: While they took counsel together against me, They devised to take away my life.

His troubles had caused his strength to collapse. There was simply nothing in David left. He was empty. There was no one, there was no power left in himself for this battle. “I am like a broken vessel.”

Where could David go now, in such a state of weakness and brokenness? It seems as though the battle was over and David had lost. But that isn't what happened. David won back his throne, won back his kingdom and the reason is in the next few verses.  

Again listen to David’s voice in Psalms 31:14-16 But I trusted in thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God. My times are in thy hand: deliver me from the hand of mine enemies, and from them that persecute me. Make thy face to shine upon thy servant: save me for thy mercies' sake.

David’s despair, his seeming defeat drove him deeper into God’s grace and mercy. He says my times, my life’s boundaries, its beginning and end are in your hands, my God. He once again declares the reality of his trust and bases that trust on God’s mercy. “Save me for thy mercies sake.”

This word “mercy” we talked several times in our series on the Psalms. It is "hesed" in Hebrew it speaks of God’s kindness, His goodness, His faithfulness, His lovingkindness, His mercy. And David says that’s all I’m asking for, just show me mercy and grace.

Driven Deeper To The Depths of God’s Grace


Do you know one of the landmarks of Christian growth and maturity is realizing the purpose of trails in our life, the reason that God that allows pain, sorrow and loss in our walk with Him. It is not because He can’t take the pain away. Nor is it because He doesn’t love us. The reason is actually because He loves us and wants us to experience the depths of His love even through the depths of despair.

This is one of the great themes of the New Testament.

In 2 Corinthians 12:9 Paul wrote, “And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

Peter in his epistle wrote in 1 Peter 4:12-14 Beloved, think it not strange concerning the fiery trial which is to try you, as though some strange thing happened unto you: But rejoice, inasmuch as ye are partakers of Christ's sufferings; that, when his glory shall be revealed, ye may be glad also with exceeding joy. If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

When I struggle. Even when I am broken and beaten it is at those times that I am driven by that suffering further into the arms of Jesus. Jesus, who knows true suffering. Jesus who took on the pain of the world. Jesus who was tortured, persecuted, tormented and humiliated. Jesus who even died and endured separation from His Father while on the cross. Jesus knows and He has the grace and mercy that are my only recourse, my only hope in this world. Like David I must be driven deeper and flee further into His mercy, grace and love.

I must come to that place as David did, “God my life’s boundaries are in your hand. It is only by you that I live or die.”

Pressed Out.

Pressed out of measure and pressed to all length.
Pressed so intensely it seems beyond strength;
Pressed in the body and pressed in the soul,
Pressed in the mind till the dark surges roll;
Pressure by foes, and pressure by friends,
Pressure on pressure, till life nearly ends.
Yet, Pressed into loving the staff and the rod,
Pressed into knowing no helper but God;
Pressed into liberty where nothing clings,
Pressed into faith for impossible things,
Pressed into living a life in the Lord;
Pressed into living a Christ-life out poured! - Walter B. Knight

There is one last stanza of this heart Psalms. It is that praise that could only be written by someone who had gone through what David had endure and found God’s grace at the end of that trial. That struggle ends in Praise.

Praise Unto Thee - Psalms 31: 19-22


19 Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; Which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee Before the sons of men! 20 Thou shalt hide them in the secret of thy presence from the pride of man: Thou shalt keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues. 21 Blessed be the LORD: for he hath shewed me his marvellous kindness in a strong city. 22 For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before thine eyes: Nevertheless thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto thee.

Past The Pain Is Praise


Even before he experiences deliverance, David praises God for His promises. He says How great is your goodness. Goodness that You have laid up in promise for them that trust you.” That goodness, mercy, grace is already there waiting just waiting for God people to appropriate. Just waiting for them to reach out and make it their own through faith.

David says, you will hide them in the secret of thy presence. How inspired is that thought?

He confesses his fear, “ I said in my haste, I am cut off.” David admits even his doubts even while he was praying, but God is greater than doubts. Doubts and fears cannot stop the loving kindness of God. “Nevertheless, Despite the doubts you heard the voice of my plea when I cried out to you. “

Prepare For Praise


The 31st Psalm, though written by David, speaks for me as I read it and can’t you hear your voice there as well? Here is my faith, laid right beside my fear. Its utterly true but I also know as true that past the pain is the promise of praise. I may doubt and fear like the disciples when Jesus was dead and buried but also like the disciples, I have the promises that Jesus gave and after those dark days they learned what praise and power truly were.
My doubts and fears are real, but they cannot overpower the promises of God. Listen to the almost 100 year old, last living apostle John talking to his children in the faith in 1 John 3:19-21. “And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him. For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.”  
Aren’t you glad? Isn’t it worthy of praise? That God is greater than our hearts, greater than out doubts, greater than our fear. Greater than our brokenness and emptiness. Praise and deliverance doesn’t depend on me, it depends on God and He has never been and never will be broken or empty.

Through It All

I've had many tears and sorrows
I've had questions for tomorrow
There's been times I didn't know right from wrong
But in every situation
God gave blessed consolation
That He only gave trials to only make me strong

Through it all
Through it all
I've learned to trust in Jesus
I've learned to trust in God
Through it all
Through it all
I've learned to depend upon His Word

I thank God for the mountains
And I thank Him for the valleys
I thank Him for the storms He brought me through
For if I'd never had a problem
How would I know God could solve them
How would I know what faith in God could do

Through it all
Through it all
I've learned to trust in Jesus
I've learned to trust in God

Through it all
Through it all
I've learned to depend upon His Word
Oh I’ve learned to depend upon His world

Conclusion – Psalm 31:23-24


23 O love the LORD, all ye his saints: For the LORD preserveth the faithful, And plentifully rewardeth the proud doer. 24 Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, All ye that hope in the LORD.

At the end of a trial of faith, or the end of the trail of our life, hold on to what David says in this last verse. Be of good courage and He shall strengthen your heart. Everyone, all of us that hope in the Lord. Be of good courage.


No comments:

Post a Comment