Friday, April 1, 2022

Restorers, Repairers and Rebuilders #3 The Preparation and the Person

Restorers, Repairers and Rebuilders #3 Preparation

 


Introduction:  We last issued the challenge for rebuilders and looked at the first steps involved in becoming a rebuilder.  First, there must be the commitment to care enough to get involved and then total reliance upon God evidenced by prayer and fasting.  This week I'm going to give you a little bit more of the actual requirements for the job itself. 

A Rebuilder Must Be Sanctified  Nehemiah 2:1-6

And it came to pass in the month Nisan, in the twentieth year of Artaxerxes the king, that wine was before him: and I took up the wine, and gave it unto the king. Now I had not been beforetime sad in his presence. Wherefore the king said unto me, Why is thy countenance sad, seeing thou art not sick? this is nothing else but sorrow of heart. Then I was very sore afraid, And said unto the king, Let the king live for ever: why should not my countenance be sad, when the city, the place of my fathers' sepulchres, lieth waste, and the gates thereof are consumed with fire? Then the king said unto me, For what dost thou make request? So I prayed to the God of heaven. And I said unto the king, If it please the king, and if thy servant have found favour in thy sight, that thou wouldest send me unto Judah, unto the city of my fathers' sepulchres, that I may build it. And the king said unto me, (the queen also sitting by him,) For how long shall thy journey be? and when wilt thou return? So it pleased the king to send me; and I set him a time.

Nehemiah was set apart (sanctified) to be a rebuilder.

He was set apart from His job, his career even his life.

He was set apart to the work of rebuilding the city walls.

This action was done under the authority of the King.

A NT Rebuilder is also sanctified (set apart) for the task.

Sanctified to the Lord’s work.

1 Corinthians 1: 26 -27 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

Then you must realize you are sanctified from this world.

2 Corinthians 6:17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

This setting apart can only be done by our King, Jesus Christ.

John 17:17-20 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. As thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, that they also might be sanctified through the truth. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

 Let Christ himself teach this.  Luke 9:57-62 And it came to pass, that, as they went in the way, a certain man said unto him, Lord, I will follow thee whithersoever thou goest.  And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head. And he said unto another, Follow me. But he said, Lord, suffer me first to go and bury my father. Jesus said unto him, Let the dead bury their dead: but go thou and preach the kingdom of God. And another also said, Lord, I will follow thee; but let me first go bid them farewell, which are at home at my house. And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

This must be the NT Rebuilder’s reality, "No one ever accomplished anything worthwhile unless they were willing to sacrifice everything worthwhile in exchange."

A Rebuilder Secures Authority

Nehemiah 2:7-10 Moreover I said unto the king, If it please the king, let letters be given me to the governors beyond the river, that they may convey me over till I come into Judah; And a letter unto Asaph the keeper of the king's forest, that he may give me timber to make beams for the gates of the palace which appertained to the house, and for the wall of the city, and for the house that I shall enter into. And the king granted me, according to the good hand of my God upon me. 

 Then I came to the governors beyond the river, and gave them the king's letters. Now the king had sent captains of the army and horsemen with me. When Sanballat the Horonite, and Tobiah the servant, the Ammonite, heard of it, it grieved them exceedingly that there was come a man to seek the welfare of the children of Israel.

Nehemiah sought the King’s authority. He secured written authority from the King for passage, provisions and protection.

The NT Rebuilder has secured God’s authority

For Passage  Mark 16:15  Go ye into all the world and preach the gospel.

For Provision  Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore and teach (make disciples) all nations baptizing (immersing) them in the name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.

For Protection Matt 28:20 And lo, I am with you alway even to the end of the world. 

A Rebuilder Sees The Need

Nehemiah 2:11-16 So I came to Jerusalem, and was there three days.
And I arose in the night, I and some few men with me; neither told I any man what my God had put in my heart to do at Jerusalem: neither was there any beast with me, save the beast that I rode upon. And I went out by night by the gate of the valley, even before the dragon well, and to the dung port, and viewed the walls of Jerusalem, which were broken down, and the gates thereof were consumed with fire. Then I went on to the gate of the fountain, and to the king's pool: but there was no place for the beast that was under me to pass. Then went I up in the night by the brook, and viewed the wall, and turned back, and entered by the gate of the valley, and so returned. And the rulers knew not whither I went, or what I did; neither had I as yet told it to the Jews, nor to the priests, nor to the nobles, nor to the rulers, nor to the rest that did the work.

Nehemiah surveyed the task before him.

Before the vision of the new walls could be seen there had to be a hard look at the ruins. He took a hard look at the wall, the gates and the ruins.

From the combination of God’s calling and Nehemiah seeing the need, a plan was laid that would accomplish the task.

NT Rebuilders need to see the destruction before there can be construction

Realize the difficulty of the task you are about undertake.  Do not go into the work with the idea that it is easy. Understand that building from scratch is always easier than rebuilding from ruins.

George Barna in “Turnaround Churches”  9 out of 10 churches that have plateaued or declined do not turn around, they eventually die.

Rebuilding means dealing with the rubble, the ruin and the mess of broken lives and homes. 

Rebuilding a life ravaged by years of immoral sexuality means dealing with sickness, disease, dangerous relationships and many untold hardships.

Rebuilding a church means dealing with the traditions and problems of the past generations.

Rebuilding means a long-term if not life long commitment.

Again George Barna claims at least 4-5 years before a church can be salvaged.

Jesus’ Word to Rebuilders, “Count the Cost” - Luke 14:25-33

Luke 14:25-33 And there went great multitudes with him: and he turned, and said unto them, If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple. And whosoever doth not bear his cross, and come after me, cannot be my disciple. For which of you, intending to build a tower, sitteth not down first, and counteth the cost, whether he have sufficient to finish it? Lest haply, after he hath laid the foundation, and is not able to finish it, all that behold it begin to mock him, Saying, This man began to build, and was not able to finish. Or what king, going to make war against another king, sitteth not down first, and consulteth whether he be able with ten thousand to meet him that cometh against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is yet a great way off, he sendeth an ambassage, and desireth conditions of peace. So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

A Rebuilder Shares The Burden with Others  Nehemiah 2:17-18

Then said I unto them, Ye see the distress that we are in, how Jerusalem lieth waste, and the gates thereof are burned with fire: come, and let us build up the wall of Jerusalem, that we be no more a reproach. Then I told them of the hand of my God which was good upon me; as also the king's words that he had spoken unto me. And they said, Let us rise up and build. So they strengthened their hands for this good work.

Nehemiah shared his burden.

Who he shared with: the Jews, the priests, the nobles,  the rulers,  the rest that did the work. He shared with all those who could or should help.

What he shared: The waste, the distress and the reproach. The hand of God and the King’s words

How they reacted: Those who saw the vision gave their outward agreement, “Let us rise up and build” and their inward commitment, “They strengthened their hands for this good work.”

Those who refused to see the vision had Outward Derision, they Laughed and scorned and inward Deprivation, No part in Jerusalem.

NT Rebuilding is a team effort

Each of us needs to be involved in the work, under our own Nehemiah

Each of us has been given a Nehemiah. He is here to help you see the vision and the reality of the work to motivate and challenge you to the greatest calling and mission ever given.

Rebuilder’s Foundation Scripture: 1 Cor 3:9  For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. 10  According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon.

Conclusion: 

Though none of us are worthy of serving God, and none of us are strong enough, talented enough or smart enough to be a be a NT Rebuilder of lives, families, churches or communities.  Yet God still calls us. He is not interested in your self-confidence but in your Saviour-confidence.  Will you believe Jesus?  Will you trust Him to supply what we will never have in ourselves?  It is our trust in God that allows us to hear the call and begin the work. First in rebuild myself and then to direct, inspire and empower me in the work of rebuilding the ruins that surround me.

The Path I Feared

I said, Let me walk in the field.

He said, No walk in the town.

I said, There are no flowers there.

He said, No flowers but a crown.

 

I said, But the air is thick

and the fogs are veiling the sun.

He answered, Yet souls are sick

And souls in the dark are undone.

 

I said, I shall miss the light

And friends will miss me, they say.

He answered, Choose tonight

If I am to miss you, or they.

 

I pleaded for time to be given,

He said, is it hard to decide?

It will not seem hard in heaven

To have followed the steps of your guide.

 

I cast one look at the fields,

Then set my face to the town.

He said, My child do you yield?

Will you leave the flowers for the crown?

 

Then into His hand went mine;

And into my heart came He.

And I walk in a light divine

The path I had feared to see.

Rebuilder’s Prayer

Lord, in the task of rebuilder the ruins around me, give me the wisdom to know what to do as well as why.  Open my eyes and my mind in addition to my heart.  Give me the vision to see the reality of the ruins then the courage of your commission to complete the task.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment