Monday, May 6, 2019

Building God's House

Building God's House
Text:  1 Chronicles 28-29

Power Point Link

Video Link

Introduction:
Today is the 5th of May aka know as Cinco De Mayo. This calls for a bit of history to be retold. 

Most people don't know that back in 1912, Hellmann's mayonnaise was manufactured in England.  In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York.

This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico.... But as we know....the great ship did not make it to New York....The ship hit an iceberg and sank .... and the cargo was forever lost....

The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise, and were eagerly awaiting its delivery .... were disconsolate at the loss....

Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning on the day they heard of the ship sinking,  which they still observe to this day.... The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th.... and is known....of course....as Sinko de Mayo....
Little children don't understand about growth.  One day my family was sitting at the dinner table when my little 3 year old daughter, Lauren asked her mother, "When will you be a little girl, like me?"  So LeeOra explained to her how growth worked. you are born a little tiny baby and then you grow up into a little girl and then finally into an adult, she though about this for a minute and then turned to me and asked,  "Daddy, what did you look like when you were a little girl?"

To a small child growth is a mystery but they aren’t the only ones. To many of us adults, there is another kind of growth that is a mystery, Church growth.   It seems to happen when we don't expect it and not happen when we do expect it.  We also find many who try to grow the church the way you grow a business with a view toward the bottom line and the profit margin rather than growing it through Biblical means and for God’s purposes.  I believe much can be learned about Building God's House from principles found in the Old Testament building of the Tabernacle, the Temple in Jerusalem or the wall around Jerusalem.  Let's turn to 1 Chron. 28 and take the Temple for our example and se if we can learn from David's preparation for the temple, how we can prepare for building the Lord's church.

God's Plan and Passion 1 Chronicles 28:11-12, 19

Then David gave to Solomon his son the pattern of the porch, and of the houses thereof, and of the treasuries thereof, and of the upper chambers thereof, and of the inner parlours thereof, and of the place of the mercy seat,  And the pattern of all that he had by the spirit, of the courts of the house of the LORD, and of all the chambers round about, of the treasuries of the house of God, and of the treasuries of the dedicated things:
19 All this, said David, the LORD made me understand in writing by his hand upon me, even all the works of this pattern.

God’s Plan and Passion for the Temple

The Plan  vs 28:11-12 David tells his son Solomon, the plan for the Temple. This would be a much bigger, permanent structure to replace the tabernacle that had traveled with the Hebrews when they traveled from Egypt to the Promised land. Once in the promised land the tabernacle was put in Shiloh, where Eli, Samuel and the other high priests led the worship of God. Now David had been given the plans from God to build a Temple in Jerusalem, the city where the name of God would dwell. David was given these plans from God and he passed them on to his son who would now build from his fathers plan

The Passion vs 28:19 Also notice vs. 19 where David says, “All this he made clear to me in writing from the hand of the LORD” There is no record in the life of David of God writing to him as God wrote the ten commandment for Moses. So what does this phrase mean? Probably it means that David’s inspiration, his passion come from God. As he wrote down the plan for God’s House, he was writing under the inspiration and power of God. In other words he was writing scripture. The scripture we read right now. He was writing the Word of God under the inspiration of God’s Holy Spirit. 

God’s Plan and Passion for the Church


The Plan
If we look into the New Testament, we can see the plan, the pattern that Jesus used to build his church, just as Solomon used a plan to build the Temple. So, what was the plan that Jesus, what did Jesus build? Let’s look at the church that Jesus built.
First we see that the church is a local called out assembly, in the Greek the word is Ekklesia. Which means (believe it or not) “a called out assembly.” In Mark 3:13 we have the exact time and place in which Jesus called out and assembled his ekklesia, And he goeth up into a mountain, and calleth unto him whom he would: and they came unto him. That is the exact definition of the church being enacted by Jesus in his Apostles.
We can see that the church was founded by Christ during His earthly ministry. Matthew 16:18  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

The church was commissioned, authorized by Christ to carry forth the Gospel. Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:  Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
There is much more to the church Jesus built, but will stop with this basic outline and definition. But let me be clear about how important it is to know what the church is. Because if you don't have God's plan for His church it doesn't matter what you have it will not be God’s House of witness and God will not be glorified as He should be in His own House. 

The Passion

If we are continue to build or grow our church, it must also be according to the pattern we see in the New Testament, but it also must have the passion of Jesus Christ, it must be His passion, and His vision that drives us to today right here at Calvary Baptist. 

Jesus give us that passion in Matthew 16:18  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.
Jesus saw His church standing outside the gates of Hell and in victory kicking those gates down.

What "gates of Hell" does Calvary Baptist Church need to kick down? What about the gate that is holding our young people in bondage to the lies of this world? What of the gate that separates our families through divorce and broken homes? What of the gate that stands between lost souls on the way to hell and the savior that gave his life for them. Jesus said those gates would not stand! I must believe in His vision, feel His passion so that His church in Athens Texas can continue to be built as He wanted. 

I believe this is the vision Jesus wants us to see as we stand on the promise of Matthew 16:18 and know that the gates of hell shall not prevail in our lives, in our families or in our live because Calvary Baptist Church has the plan and the passion of God for His house.
Illustration: We Need to Add our name to the list.

Moses caught God's vision and led over a million people out of slavery and into the promised land.
Joshua caught God's vision and shouted the walls of Jericho down to the dust.
Gideon caught God's vision and took 300 men armed with lamps and pitchers to route the vast armies of the Midianites.
David caught God's vision and sent a stone in the name of God to slay an unbeatable giant.
Peter caught God's vision and won 3000 souls with a single sermon.
Paul caught God's vision and traveled to the end of the world to spread the gospel.
Let’s work and pray so that it's our time to add our name to the list of those who have caught the vision of God.

Transition: Having the plan of God and the passion of God is the necessary beginning but it is only the beginning.  Now we come to the next preparation, God's Pastor.

God's Pastor  1 Chron 29:2-5

Now I have prepared with all my might for the house of my God the gold for things to be made of gold, and the silver for things of silver, and the brass for things of brass, the iron for things of iron, and wood for things of wood; onyx stones, and stones to be set, glistering stones, and of divers colours, and all manner of precious stones, and marble stones in abundance.  Moreover, because I have set my affection to the house of my God, I have of mine own proper good, of gold and silver, which I have given to the house of my God, over and above all that I have prepared for the holy house,  Even three thousand talents of gold, of the gold of Ophir, and seven thousand talents of refined silver, to overlay the walls of the houses withal:  The gold for things of gold, and the silver for things of silver, and for all manner of work to be made by the hands of artificers. And who then is willing to consecrate his service this day unto the LORD? 

David the Pastor of Israel Leads

David supplied the raw materials needed to begin building the Temple  1 Chronicles 29:2-4
David also motivated and challenged the people 1 Chron. 29:5 “Who then is willing to consecrate his service this day unto the Jehovah?”

David led the people by his example when he gave to the building of the temple and David also led by his words when he spoke and challenged the people to consecrate themselves and build God’s House. 

The Pastor Of The Church Must Lead

The church is a spiritual house, the raw material it is built upon is the sould of men and women, boys and girls saved by the gospel. 

1 Corinthians 3:10-13 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.  Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;  Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

The Pastor of the church must understand that it is God's house he is building and not his own. With every sermon, lesson, visit every action He is trying to provide and gather raw material for the church to be built upon.

Ephesians 2:19-22 says, "Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:  In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.
The Pastor must motivate by his words and by his actions.

1 Timothy 4:12-16 Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity. Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery. Meditate upon these things; give thyself wholly to them; that thy profiting may appear to all. Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

Any Pastor, and especially this Pastor, knows that he will often fail at both speaking and acting as he should. Yet, God has given me, as he gives every Pastor, a vision for Calvary Baptist church, right now it waits impatiently in my heart.  And as it waits God says through His Word, "Kris, if you'll be My pastor, if you'll love my people, teach my church and seek my lost lambs, then the vision will become the reality." 

Illustration: The Dedication of Jonathan Edwards.

Let me this morning make to you and to the Lord this same dedication which was made by Jonathan Edwards.
I claim no right to myself, no right to this understanding, this will, these affections that are in me; neither do I have any right to this body or its members, no right to this tongue, to these hands, feet, ears or eyes.
I have given myself clear away and not retained anything of my own.  I have been to God this morning and told Him I have given myself wholly to Him.  I have given Him every power, so that for the future I claim no right to myself in any respect.  I have expressly promised Him, for by Hi grace I will not fail.  I take Him as my whole portion and felicity, looking upon nothing else as any part of my happiness, His law is the rule of my obedience.
I will fight with all my might against the world, the flesh, and the devil to the end o my life.  I will adhere to the faith of the Gospel, however hazardous and difficult the profession and practice of it may be.
I receive the blessed Spirit as my Teacher, Sanctifier, and only Comforter, and cherish all admonitions to enlighten, purify, confirm, comfort and assist me.  This I have done.
I pray God, for the sake of others, to look upon this as a self-dedication, and receive me as His own.  Henceforth, I am not to act in any respect as my own.  I shall act as my own if I ever make use of any of my powers to do anything that is not to the glory of God, or to fail to make the glorifying of Him my whole and entire business.
If I murmur in the least at afflictions; if I am in any way uncharitable; if revenge my own case; if I do anything purely to please myself, or omit anything because it is a great denial; if I trust to myself; if I take any praise for any good which Christ does by me; or if I am in any way proud, I shall act as my own and not God's.  I purpose to be absolutely His.
Transition: But a King, even David could not build God’s Temple alone, David needed God’s people. Nor can a Pastor build a God’s Church alone, he needs, even more than David, God’s people.

God's People  1 Chronicles 29:6-9

Then the chief of the fathers and princes of the tribes of Israel, and the captains of thousands and of hundreds, with the rulers of the king's work, offered willingly, And gave for the service of the house of God of gold five thousand talents and ten thousand drams, and of silver ten thousand talents, and of brass eighteen thousand talents, and one hundred thousand talents of iron.  And they with whom precious stones were found gave them to the treasure of the house of the LORD, by the hand of Jehiel the Gershonite. Then the people rejoiced, for that they offered willingly, because with perfect heart they offered willingly to the LORD: and David the king also rejoiced with great joy.

The Israelites Give To the Temple

The people of Israel, saw the vision that God had given David and they wanted to gave to see that vision fulfilled in a place on earth where God would meet with them. For years now the ark of the Covenant, the very mercy seat of God that should have been in the most holy place in the tabernacle had been resting in a building outside of Jerusalem. But once the Temple was built the Ark, the symbol of God’s mercy and presence would come to Jerusalem, to the people of God. 

To see this happen they gave and they gave deeply from their stores and even more they have sacrificially more than their stores could bear.  After all it was just a small portion of the blessing He had given to them. As David says in verse 14, it is an honor to give.
1 Chronicles 29:14 But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee.
They rejoiced because they had been given this opportunity to give willingly and they did it, the Bible says, with a perfect, an undivided, and focused heart. 

Believers Give To The Church

I think we all know that we should give but too many times we don’t understand what actually brings us to a place where we begin to give. And its not that you have a lot of money you can part with or don’t care about. (None of us will here will ever get to that point, but if I’m wrong about that they please see me. I’ve got some bills to pay and I’ve always thought I’d look like a proper Pastor driving a new Ford Raptor.) Getting back, the reason some give and others don’t is much like the reason the Nation of Israel gave to the Temple, they catch the vision, they see what God sees, they see what God has given the Pastor to see. When this happens then, they will give.

They see that when it comes to the Lord’s work, we reap what we sow.
2 Corinthians 9:6-8  But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.  Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

And let me add that giving money is only the beginning. Remember we build a spiritual house.  Our greatest offering is not dollars, but it is the true offering of ourselves, our body and soul given in God’s service, that is the offering we need to make to build the church. Look what it says in …

Romans 12: 1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Or Mark 12:30  And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first (the most important) commandment.

We as God’s people, as God’s church, are called to give our bodies, our lives, our minds, our strength, our hearts, our all into His service and into building His church. When we can really see the vision of the church as Jesus did, then we will give and if we give, then we will rejoice. Oh, how we will rejoice when we see God’s church being built with the living stones of lost souls being added to the foundation of Jesus Christ. Oh how we will rejoice.
If we are not rejoicing in your Christianity, it may be that you haven’t seen the vision and that you haven't learned to give. God’s people should be a joyous people and there is nothing more joyous that a member of the Lord’s church who sees what God can do through their church and through their gifts. 

Illustration

We need to experience what the people of Jerusalem experience after they had returned from exile and under terrible opposition rebuilt the wall around the city. On that day, Nehemiah and Ezra told them …
Nehemiah 8:10  Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.
That’s what we want, and that’s what we need. We need to experience the joy of the Lord in our life but key to that is giving to the Lord’s work and building God’s House. 

Conclusion

Will you this commit yourself to God's plan for His church?
Will you feel His passion?
Can you see the vision He has for us?
If you can do that then will you also consecrate yourself to that vision?  Will you give yourself in the Lord’s work?
For if you commit, if you will see, if you consecrate and if you give then you will experience the joy of the Lord.   
Let’s turn in our hymnals to #546, I Gave My Life Thee and as we sing make this song our response to God’s Word this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment